Wednesday, August 12, 2020

What to Do in a Pandemic? Of Course, Buy an...

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish.   Author Unknown

In April, my husband and I began a five-week trip-of-a-lifetime to New Zealand, Australia, and the Cook Islands. Yup. Dream trip come true. The two of us exploring -- from Milford Sound to the Great Barrier Reef, finishing with a weeklong stint in a one-bedroom cottage steps from the lagoon in Raratonga. Floating in the South Pacific. Heaven.

Our dream trip remains a dream. As does all the travel everyone else in the world has planned. Not much excitement for any of us -- except the navigation of life in the time of Covid-19. Due to a dedicated stance on masks, social distancing, and maintaining our "pod," we've been fortunate to escape the illness and loss many have suffered and continue to endure. For us, a long stint stuck in our home has proven to be our adventure.

I'm not one to get bored. I can't recall the last time I was bored. The pandemic hasn't changed that. My unread books pile up on my ToBeRead shelf like always and I'm borrowing audio books from the library, via Overdrive, like normal. (Okay, maybe a little more.)


There are more behind that front line.

Yup -- that front line of books has a back line.

Playing with watercolors and acrylics and practicing patience with my lack of ability while organizing my thoughts?  I haven't even begun to scratch the surface in that venture.


Now and then, I have grandchildren to play with. Makes life easier when you do what a four-year-old tells you to do -- or follow a 17-month-old around the perimeter. 

Of course, there is the online ordering of groceries and the creative cooking. Ina Garten's Instagram entries have certainly added variety to my repertoire of the past 42 years. Continuous watering of the container garden vegetables, since I didn't plant a garden this year, takes up time. (I wasn't supposed to be here for the spring planting and harvest. Right?)

And, one can always clean house. (For me an occasional necessity -- an activity I accomplish with efficiency and speed.) 

But, still, somedays, I get itchy. 

Not bored. Just itchy to be somewhere different.

So itchy, I announced to my husband I was pulling out all our old camping equipment and we were going camping. The tent. The campstove. The coffee pot. The lantern. The clothesline. Everything. We were getting out of Dodge.

My husband shuddered in his chair. "I'm too old to sleep on the ground."

"We'll buy a huge blowup air mattress for your tender body," I snapped. 

Once upon a time, we were big campers. On our honeymoon, we drove from Michigan to the Pacific Coast Highway, camping from Astoria, Oregon to below Big Sur. We didn't have much money in our early years so campouts at Lake Michigan, and, later, while living in Colorado, Utah, and Connecticut, became our vacations and getaways. Our entertainment.

Having all three sons become Eagle Scouts meant we did significant time at campgrounds. Since getting rid of the kids, we've taken to seeing the world. We don't stay in the fanciest of hotels as we only use them for siesta, shower, and sleep.  But much nicer to sleep in a hotel on the Zambezi River than a tent where the crocodiles can have you for a midnight snack.

With those future adventures on hold -- and even road trips curtailed from visiting family or anywhere to get out of the relentless Texas summer heat, camping was the only solution I could come up with to avoid hotels and restaurants. Camping with a river to cool myself.

My husband wasn't on board. While I researched open campsites on the Frio River, he pounded away on his laptop. One morning he said there was something we needed to see in Houston - a three-hour drive away.

Next thing I knew, this happened.

This was not an idea out of the blue. Our plan in our retirement was to purchase a used Airstream -- after we satisfied ourselves with more international travel. The afore-mentioned Oceania areas of the globe followed by South America, Asia, and Spain/Portugal/Morocco. And, and, and...

As long as our bodies and pocketbook held out, we were going for it. No fancy cruises. Rental cars and roadmaps, picnic lunches and guidebooks in hand. The Airstream would come after, when we were older farts traveling the US and Canada, leeching real showers off friends along the way.

Enter the virus. Adaptation. The re-arrangement of the plan. Online shopping to explore grey/black water hoses. And, our first adventure. 60 miles from home at Blanco State Park. Floating down the river. Oilcloth on the picnic table. AC! on a hot August night in a campground. 

I write this post today as my husband and I celebrate 42 years of marriage. Where we had to use our wedding gift money to fund that 6000-mile honeymoon trek, and our VW broke down in Chicago, and my parents towed it home, and lent us a car, and it snowed while we figured out how to put up our new tent in Yellowstone National Park--in the dark -- we are now in a little better position to purchase our used 2014 Airstream. 





Although we're not snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef or watching the glowworms in New Zealand or hiking up to Machu Pichu this year, we are back where we started -- at a campground.


Needs a little decoration.

Poetic, I'd say. 

Now, if this thing could just learn how to back up by itself. 

Hope you're all doing well as we all plod through this, our newest lesson, in perseverance --

and life. 



25 comments:

  1. Oh, gosh! I think this is a brilliant idea, and I too am now no longer excited about sleeping on the ground, but that gorgeous Airstream looks great! I look forward to plenty of pictures of your upcoming adventures... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Djan, I bet you could find some incredible places to camp and hike based on all your adventures. Can't wait to see what comes our way.

      Delete
  2. Such a wonderful dream come to be--sooner than later. Soft dreams to both. The ground is such a long way down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty great to be able to read something from you again. I have thought of you often, wondering how you've been faring with Covid and the Texan heat, and now I find you've done the most delightful thing!! I love Airstreams, their sleek shininess and utilitarian vibe. Well, outwardly utilitarian, at least. Like you, we've gone camping, and like your husband, we eschewed the tent and hard ground and opted for a rented motorhome. I also love camping, and with only a tiny bit of jealousy I wish you all kinds of wonderful moments in your silver tube of a new home. Really lovely to have a catchup on your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We had hoped in the future to get across the border to visit our friends up in Canada. Certainly hope that will be in the near future rather than way down the road. Good to hear from you, Deb.

      Delete
  4. lovely post, happy anniversary and happy trails.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes indeed lots of early similarities camping in a tent eventually upscaling young boys growing up so fast. Now retired though for the first time in my life boredom. Age and infirmities prohibit my adventurous spirit from flyfishing in grizzly bear country in Montana or canoeing ventures North in Canada from Minnesota to Hudson Bay. My lifelong addiction to reading helps a lot and writing book reviews helps. But the social isolation of the pandemic shortly after the loss of my beloved as not helped as I live alone and my grandchildren live in Arizona far far away. Still we shall persevere as individuals and collectively as a country. I sense better times are coming and I have great faith in the younger generations, that is the ones I taught to meet the challenges of justice and a better life for all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Still we shall persevere as individuals and collectively as a country. I sense better times are coming and I have great faith in the younger generations, that is the ones I taught to meet the challenges of justice and a better life for all"

      Here, here, Troutbirder. I know from reading your blog for years that you and your wife had great adventures. Hope someday soon, you will have new ones. Meanwhile, we have our books. I believe we were camping in your neck of the wood -- near Houston, MN.

      Delete
  6. Definitely poetic! Belatedly, Happy Anniversary to you both and I wish you many more to come. I love camping but I don't think we can go this year as we don't have our own "facilities" and while some campsites are open, many have kept their shower and toilet blocks closed. This will be the first year that we haven't slept in a tent since 1997. Your Airstream looks super duper, very luxurious! Like you, I can't remember ever being bored - I'm a bookworm, and there are always books. Happy Camping. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having our own "facilities" did make traveling in the time of Covid much easier. I hope you were able to get out as soon as you can.

      Delete
  7. Hooray for you!! We started RV life (not fulltime yet, but that's in our future...) three years ago when we bought an Escape travel trailer from a company in Canada. We quickly outgrew it and wound up with a Class C Thor Fourwinds (went from 19 feet to 26) and have loved every moment traveling in it. You are going to have so much fun in your beautiful Airstream! We had to postpone our 2-month spring trip due to the pandemic, but we are hoping to head out after Labor Day. We don't care to camp during the summer since the parks are so packed and they are especially full this year. I'm hoping they aren't too full this fall, but RV life has exploded this year. I look forward to reading more about your journeys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And yes, wouldn't it be great if those trailers could back up by themselves! I eventually got the hang of it, but it takes a lot of patience between the person behind the wheel and the person giving directions. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've saw the campers like yours. No backing in, for certain. Hope you did get out after Labor Day.

      Delete
  9. Belated wedding anniversary congratulations! Enjoy your camping adventures. There's a rush to buy a travel van here too. Our granddaughter and partner have just arrived in our house in Italy and they're settling in well. They had a quick and safe journey driving down. Quite an adventure for them although they'll have to stay in isolation there and quarantine when they return. We remember those days on the road travelling around mainland Europe and happy the grands are interested in doing the same albeit with caution during these more challenging times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And, yes, it is difficult to get around in these challenging times. But the change has done us well, as I'm certain for your grandkids as well. I guess we all are recalling our previous travels to get us through to whatever comes next.

      Delete
  10. Your camper is GORGEOUS! Happy anniversary!
    I'm sorry your grand adventure got cancelled, but I love how you adapted and are still pursuing some kind of fun. Weird how life can come full circle, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed -- full circle! Albeit a little more comfortable this go around. We're enjoying that camper.

      Delete
  11. It all looked so preciously perfect...until you mentioned the backing up. Hubby has done many a boat trailer...he could do it...or we could pay someone in the campground to do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I'm thinking there might be someone who would back it up... Would be an interesting way to meet people -- if you wanted to do that. Ha!

      Delete
  12. Oh, my! Happy Anniversary and I look forward to hearing more about your new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to write them! Hoping the trips will make my writing mind stir. Happy reading.

      Delete
  13. Julie, I loved this blogpost. So good you've got the camper. You'll enjoy it thoroughly. It might have come a bit soon, but it's perfect for this sci fi movie we're living in. WE got to go away this year for a few weeks in our camper, when other holiday/adventure options were off the cards. We had planned to go to Spain for three or four months, but hey, at least we got away. Hopefully we'll get to go next year. Please post more about your camper life. I'd love to see where you go and what you get up to.
    And a very Happy Anniversary to you and your husband. We've been married for 48 years, 49 in Feb - OH MY, where did those years go?

    gramswisewords.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, grams. I've visited your site and tried to leave a comment. Not certain if that worked. Enjoyed seeing all your travels. The maiden voyage was a success and we look forward to many more trips.

      Delete

Let me know what you think. Every word you write, I appreciate.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails