Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Can I Still Wear White?

Just around the corner in every woman's mind - is a lovely dress, a wonderful suit, or entire costume which will make an enchanting new creature of her.
Wilhela Cushman

All this wedding talk around my house reminds me of something I've asked my friends for years - Wouldn't it be fun to try on wedding dresses? Just for something different, I add as they look at me like I have holes in my head. Truly, though, wouldn't it be fun? I'm sure bridal wear proprietors wouldn't mind a gaggle of old women, primed from their margarita lunch, invading their store to pretend they can still pull off wearing white.

Maybe they offer a magic mirror that proffers the body and skin from way back when. And the energy.

While searching the wedding sites to study the groom's mother responsibilities, I wandered down different avenues in the wedding journey. The life of the groom's mother is fairly boring in the wedding map and one night I found myself segueing to a wedding dress site. I've often wondered what style I might choose for myself with tastes of a 52 year old woman. Today, I want the one pictured above.

I found the beauty on the Priscilla of Boston wedding dress site. (I doubt they'll mind me advertising for them.)When you click on the dresses, the model walks down the runway. Since I was dreaming, I only chose those over $5000. I had the most fun and killed at least a couple of hours.

Of course, I want it all - the youth, the body that comes with the model in the dress. Especially the long gloves that bring on the elegance. Okay, so I want to feel enchanted, without all the nerves of a wedding day. I can still imagine, can't I?

Looking at my wedding pictures, my dress has the definite stamp of the late 70's.

Here I'm dancing with my proud dad.


And standing here with my sweetie, ready for the party part to begin.

In August, 31 years have passed since I walked down the aisle. A gentleness of excitement existed at that time -- the advent of a new adventure. Uncertainty and wonder at what the choices made might bring. Oh, what a ride it has been -- and continues each day.

Thirty years ago I had my wedding dress cleaned and packaged in a box for posterity. I think that box occupies the back of the closet underneath the stairs. What was the purpose of preserving it in such a manner? I have no daughter who might want to wear it. I couldn't get my left arm in the Size 5 dress today. But stuffed in the closet doesn't seem fitting either.

One year at a Halloween party, my friend wore her wedding gown from her first marriage. That she could still get into it 20 years later impressed the hell out of me. Impressed me more that she pinned "dead" worms on it and smeared dirt on her face and the dress. Made herself look just like a bride from the grave. Oh, Halloween. Brings out the best of us, doesn't it? I believe I went as a pig - a costume I'd made for my husband years earlier. Died pink long underwear with ten baby bottle nipples inserted on the front, a cute pig nose, and pink pipe cleaner twirling from my tail.

I digress.

The point was, maybe I should dig my wedding dress out of the depths of the closet, take a look at it. Spread it out on the couch. Trace the lace between my hands. I won't pin dead worms to it or smudge garden dirt anywhere (although some days I might feel like that.) Perhaps I'll just gaze at it and recall the day when promises were made with love in our hearts and eyes -- and hope for another 31 years of life together.

31 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, look how young and beautiful you looked! Yes, get that dress out and walk down memory lane - it doesn't matter if it fits or not, just touching it will trigger so many memories. Congrats on the long marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I'll go with you to try on wedding dresses! Sounds like a ton of fun. My wedding dress is similarly preserved. I've often thought about opening it up and admiring it. Maybe I will one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the 31--that is a tribute to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What sweet pictures! Yes..I think you should get your dress out and look at it....maybe on the day of your anniversary, to make it even more special. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, indeed. As the mother of the groom, you'll be the least important person in the wedding party. Why? Because everyone is too busy to make sure the wedding goes off great. You or your husband, or both can still toast the happy couple, or throw a pre-wedding or post wedding party. But, on the special day, you are letting go of your boy and feel proud of the man he has become.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You looked gorgeous... get the dress out again and have a nice nostalgic moment.. nothing quite like it!!x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this. Although I got married at 31, as a proud meember of the graduating class of'75, I can picture that wedding.

    Did you ever see the Friends episode where the girls wear wedding gowns to cheer themselves up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow 31 years. That's quite an accomplishment in this day and time. Congratulations you must be doing something right.

    Oh hell pull it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet and poignant post. Congratulations on three decades, and on the spirit of love and romance that still smolders in your being. I hope your time with your wedding dress is happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post. I keep my wedding dress in the closet in the guest room. Whenever I look it, I'm immediately transported back in time. No other garment ever has or ever will mean so much.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. HA! and ROFLMAO. You and Bob both look like you're 12. But I must say you made an adorable couple. Very stylish for the times (not that I would know about those times, since I'm not quite 30 yet).

    I still have my wedding dress from hubby #2. It's in the top of my closet, all hermetically sealed. I have no idea why I still have it, other than it was expensive and I adored it. But none of my girls have worn it (which was the point of saving it in the first place). Might as well have had boys!

    On August 1st, I walk my beloved niece down the aisle. I won't be wearing white (or a tux), but some camo color. Yeah, Texas couple. :) But I'm still going to the bridal shop and getting fitted. It'll be cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. After storing my dress for over thirty years I made it into beautiful satin pillows for my bedroom. My marriage may have gone but I still have the memories of the beautiful day I married.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! Just had my 25th last week. :) (Wonder where my dress is?)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nostalgia rules, okay? Get the dress out and relive the moment. Bridal gowns always make girls look beautiful, it's the magic in the weave that does it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yikes, that't the 70's alright. You look very young and sweet. My gown in 1975 was made of Qiana. Remember Qiana anyone? (shudder) Anyway, I've already had my stroll down Memory Lane this week. It was nice to read yours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You were truly a beautiful bride. Mine is all packaged up in its 1980s glory in my closet too. But listen, I recently talked with a woman who just had hers remade into christening/baptismal gowns for her grandchildren! I think that is a brilliant suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can I confess I love to watch the shows where brides try on all those dresses? (Please don't tell.) I never had a long white dress and never tried any traditional wedding gowns on.

    I'll try on dresses with you too. Please?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can I confess I love to watch the shows where brides try on all those dresses? (Please don't tell.) I never had a long white dress and never tried any traditional wedding gowns on.

    I'll try on dresses with you too. Please?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh what a lovely post! I just came over to bestow abundant blessings on you for adding a veggie tray to Fragrant's Corona nude beach party!!! lol...
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. You were a beautiful Bride! I think the idea of a bunch of Margarita filled ladies trying on dresses sounds fun but trying to stuff myself in one of those gowns would take the fun right out and sober me fast! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jules - your wedding!! so happy to be a part of it and so much fun..:) how is it possible we have known each other for over 30 years? You looked great then and you still look great now! Handsome "just Bob"
    too...:)!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a great, sweet post. Good job! I love those wedding pictures of you. Your dad looks like quite the dapper dancer!

    I'm thrilled you made it to 31 and are still wishing for more. These days that is quite a feat!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very nice post. I picked my wedding dress in the 1980's based on the venue: a Southern Georgia historical home and a Sunday brunch wedding. It is smooshed in a cedar chest. It would be a great costume for a southern belle soiree but I was super thin back then and could never wear it now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. SWOON.

    Your memories, your current comfort, your dad, the dream dress--all are wonderment.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I loved that post. My dress is preserved, and in the attic as well!!

    As for getting in to it- I am NOT holding my breath.

    ReplyDelete
  27. hiiii that dress in the picture i did not find on the priscilla of boston site... is that where you got it?
    believe it or not i had this saved on my desktop for yours ... its the epitome of my perfect wedding dress... the site i had initially found it at is no longer existant... and im happy to have found the picture here... where did you get it from!?

    ReplyDelete
  28. I ran across this posting by googling. Can I ask the name of that gown you posted? I looked on their website but I can't find it anywhere. I'm getting married next year and have been looking at gowns. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous - You don't have an email access so I hope you get this. The site was www.studydressmaking.info/

    I thought it as Pricilla - but maybe they are just connected. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I still remember that day. The party after was one of the best I still have ever been too. I took the picture of you and your Dad dancing. Your were so beautiful in that dress...pull it out and as so many have already said, enjoy the memories!
    Molliedog1

    ReplyDelete
  31. thk u for sharing ur heart, it soothed me inside.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. Every word you write, I appreciate.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails