Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Scavenging the August Doldrums

Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability. 
Sam Keen

Here's how uneventful it has been this August. I got nothing to say other than it's still hot and I'm still sweating.

I've had my head buried in books. This month I've laughed my way through Europe with Bill Bryson reading Neither Here Nor There. Had a most interesting discussion with my book club regarding The Submission. Lived in NYC and the Dominican Republic with the wonderful Oscar Wao, and relished the short stories of Edith Pearlman in Honeydew.

I'm currently in Beirut with An Unnecessary Woman.

As for my television watching, Deadliest Catch has concluded their season. Jeopardy is on hiatus. American football has yet to begin (and the Green Bay Packers have lost Jordy Nelson. Sigh.) My next up Netflix disc will begin the third season of The Newsroom and I've received a recommendation for Death in Paradise, a British venture filmed in Guadeloupe that I can stream.

I'm clinging to my hammock, the AC, and the end of summer as long as I can for once Labor Day passes I must resurface and join the world.  Maybe.

This litany of my August actions has thrilled you beyond measure, I'm sure.

Forthwith is my August Scavenger Hunt brought to you by the lovely Greenthumb. Go visit her in Australia at her blog Made with Love


The August List

Walk
Horizontal
Square
Diversity
Rough
Bow
Joy
Forgotten
Crowd
Colourless
Friendly
Whatever I Want



Walk
Guess who I saw on my walk today?

Horizontal
Okay, our fence is still horizontal to the ground. It just has a challenging path.

Square
Nothing like a good old game of Scrabble.

Diversity
You got your purple flowers, your variety of green water plants and your pond scum. Diversity.

Rough
Yup, might be a little rough falling into that.

Bow
I think this magnolia blossom would make a lovely bow.

Joy
End of day and a reprieve from the heat. Time to jump in the lake and float in the moonlight.

Forgotten
Oops...
...forgotten in the fridge.

Crowd
Blues on the Green. Used to be a small affair in Austin, Texas. Few hundred people. This night? Over 30,000.

Colorless
Once upon a time, I would have considered this a colorless photo. But as I gaze at it now, the white, silver, black and varied shades of brown -- colors I used to not consider colors -- are most beautiful.

So, okay  how about this for colorless.

I'm certain some do-gooder French Impressionist or a large-hatted Dutch Master could find color in this. Not me. Although...

Friendly
My duck friend giving me a kiss.

Whatever I Want
Please, Julie? I promise I won't come back for an hour if you give me just a tad more catfood. See, I'm just very gently resting my beak on your leg.

And that is as creative as this August Scavenger can muster. Hope you are all doing well. What have you been reading and watching this summer?


37 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos, looks like its been a rewarding month for you. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings to you, Blogoratti. It has been a pleasure to hide in books and TV.

      Delete
  2. It's so cold here, I'm having trouble imagining heat. No A/C, yet I'm in a hoodie, with a fleece blanket across my lap. You miss MN, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord it has been a hot summer for us, too. But now it's just fine, in the low 70s during the day and low 50s at night. Just right! I've been reading a lot, too, but actually nothing I'd recommend, other than the wonderful book about an owl, "Wesley the Owl." :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes that is the best reading. 70's and 50's. Sounds very comfortable, like open window time. My favorite is 85/65. The South has made me a little bit of heat lover.

      Delete
  4. It turned cool for a few days here, but back to the heat.I like the duck friend stopping by. Mine are in the freezer, my daughter got tired of them jumping in her water buckets. You are lucky to have all the good music there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I like the duck friend stopping by. Mine are in the freezer"

      Hahahaha. Don't quite know why that made me laugh. Mine have been around a long time now. Someone dumped them five years ago when they were babies. Cut their wings too high to ever grow back. They have been following me around ever since.

      Delete
  5. I was super happy about the way the Deadliest Catch season ended. Very happy for the new captains finally finding the crab. Yay! NOT so happy about Nelson. Makes me feel a little queasy. Hopefully the new guys can step up.
    If you want yet another book to read go pick up a copy of Carry Me Home by Sandra Kring. AWESOME book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, a good season ending. And I will look into that book. I still have five books left on my Summer Reading list. I know I won't make it by Labor Day. Then again, summer doesn't officially end until the autumnal equinox. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. the pictures of the duck are priceless! temps have dropped in the low 40's F at night here...sitting in flannel nightgown, readying to go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already that cold? Stay warm. 40's are deep winter around here.

      Delete
  8. That is the perfect image for forgotten.
    Great reading list.
    Bad Packers news, though. It makes me sad for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Sad for Aaron Rodgers, too. Onward to the season.

      Best wishes for the new school year.

      Delete
  9. The thought of lying in a hammock with Summer reads or a night swim in a moonlit lake appeals to me. Hope to hear what you think of Death in Paradise. It's the sort of easy viewing we Brits like to watch on Winter nights. Ben Miller (series 1-2) and Kris Marshall in (series 3-4) are great comedy actors. Time and the scavenger hunt list got the better of me this month so I haven't participated. Loved your interpretation, as always. My reading material at the moment is a crime series set in the moorland area in our region with details of real places and insight into police politics that make each novel interesting and authentic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will let you know about Death in Paradise. Sounds fun. How interesting that your reading material takes place where you live. How fun is that. Hope you will catch up on the hunt this next month as I enjoy your interpretations.

      Delete
  10. I'm with Linda on the hammock and moonlit lake. We've had very few warm days or evenings in our British 'summer' this year. In the hammock I've been reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed which I loved (I loved the film too). Loved your photo of horizontal. Colourless was thought-provoking. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both the hammock and moonlit floats are something special. I am most thankful for them. I read Wild and saw the movie also. Liked the book better, but enjoyed the scenery in the movie.

      Yes, colour. What is colour?

      Delete
  11. Lovely photos I've enjoyed them all, particularly like Bow, Joy and Friendly and also your thoughts on colourless:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosie. Always fun to figure out which direction to go. Gets me thinking which is good, I guess. Will head over to see yours shortly.

      Delete
  12. thanks for taking part in this months scavenger hunt, what a great group of photos. I really like your photos of colourless, joy, and walk. Greenthumb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Greenthumb. And thanks for doing this. Great idea for those of us who enjoy the creative outlet.

      Delete
  13. I especially enjoyed your duck friend. How unusual! Hope the outdoor temperature turns down a few notches soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is a character. Much braver than her sister and brother. The temp has gone down a notch, but only a notch. Will be cooler in a month or so.

      Delete
  14. The duck scrounging is brilliant! I love his nuzzling!
    Yeouch, the cacti do look rough- no thank you,I don't fancy falling in those! I like your thoughts on that colourless photo!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kezzie. Those cacti are rather uninviting. In spring when they bloom their yellow flowers, it seems so odd to contrast the flower with the thorns. Now the flowers have morphed into prickly pears. Could be time to collect a few and cook to a syrup. Made a cocktail.

      Delete
  15. I loved seeing your photos but the opening paragraph you shared really brightened my day. Sounds like you have enjoyed your summer very much. I too love watching the Deadliest Catch since a couple of the boats are from Seattle. There's some great new programs lined up on PBS this fall. You will enjoy Death in Paradise. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something about seeing that crab pot coming over the boat. Great anticipation. I have enjoyed the summer, but do see signs I'm coming out that. Getting restless for some movement. That is good. Good to hear about Death in Paradise.

      Delete
  16. Nicely done, Julie! Forgotten really made me laugh ~ I've found lots of forgotten things in my fridge, especially salad greens! Definitely would not want to fall into that rough pile of cacti, but I'd happily spend time with the friendly duck! Happy hunting in September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Hunting to you as well. My fridge can get bad, but not as bad as we used to find in my moms. She put leftovers in old butter holders so it was always shock and awe when you opened those. Ha!

      Delete
  17. I wouldn't mind some Blues on the Green, I bet that was a fun evening. The duck kiss is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was fun. Parking nightmare,but fun to be in such a fun crowd.

      Delete
  18. Your duck friend is so sweet. I have to agree that some time ago I would have considered your bird picture colourless too, but thankfully we can both see the beauty in those colours now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved all of your photos and the commentary that you wrote to accompany them. Oops is something that I'm sure many of us can relate to ;) Great idea using Scrabble for square, and the duck is a hoot.. What a beautiful magnolia blossom! Hope you have cooled down now that September is here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful photos...especially loved the duck kiss....very sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. Every word you write, I appreciate.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails