Sunday, August 5, 2012

It's Always Something

How can I distract myself? Let me count the ways.
Julie Sucha Anderson

I have a new distraction. I don't know that it's a distraction per se as I don't really know what else I should be doing. I could say writing my book, cleaning my house, watering my plants, spending time with friends, finishing an abundance of unfinished projects, reading the long piles of books in my stash. You know, making the world a better place --volunteer service and all that jazz.

Seems like I did that crap for years. Not interested anymore.

Do you feel like I'm setting myself up for an excuse? You betcha baby. A few months ago I was hooked on Scrabble. Now I play only a few games with three people, but I also added a couple of Words with Friends games. I know, I know. I'm ashamed. I know I'm a hypocrite, but Scrabble wouldn't load and WTF would and there you go. Impatient and fickle, I go with what works.

Since I only play with a few family members and a couple Canucks I met in my more active Scrabble days, I no longer seek random partners in word building throughout the world to distract me and occupy my time.  I've discovered a much better opportunity. Pinterest. So fun and so brainless. Look at a picture. Decide if you like it. Repin it to your boards which are very easy to make up. Couple clicks here and there. Only takes five minutes a shot.

 They even offer a few boards already made to get you started, but it only takes a couple hours of perusals to figure out that what they originally offer will not suffice. Hence, you create your own.

Very sick Halloween decorations
Weirdest Animals in the world
The "Okay, I could live there" or
"I want to go there" pin.
Or
I went there
Or maybe I do like birds or
I'd like that hat and that cat and that pizza pie on that grill lodged on top of the Taj Majal. Wait!!!

Suddenly an entire scenario comes forth as you choose from this massive mosaic in front of your fingertips. Patterns emerge and  the opportunity to shore in on what you really like organizes your life right before your eyes. You can plan your perfect day - or week - or trip - or life.

For instance - how about a trip to Alaska?



Like those? Pin them on your Alaska album. Or maybe you like motorcycles --


Or you like flowers -- 

Or views from windows--

Or blue water
Or lakes or oceans --

Let's do a dream trip.

Dear Mr. Pinterest,

I have made my decisions based on what you presented on your website. I appreciate your assistance in making my dream fly.

I want to go to Iceland and stay in that snow cave hotel and when I'm there, I want some conch tacos shipped in from Providenciales. And that hat that's shaped like a peacock. Oh, and don't forget my husband - but if you can't find him, get one of those young muscular guys leaning on some car who has his shirt off. Really tan. About 35. Nice pecs. Any of those guys will do. And the car - don't forget the car. You know, right next to the really big tree you can drive your car through. Yes, that one - the VW bus.

Oh, oh, oh, don't forget to bring some flowers and pretty dresses and teacups for afternoon lounging and a clothesline. Have to have a clothesline or else all the clothes will smell like people who don't have a clue about clotheslines.

Bring the Mystery Date and Twister games from the past and the Yardley lipstick. Leave Chatty Cathy at home. Find a Merry go Round.

Bring all the weird looking animals and the cute ones, too. Make certain all the amazing bugs are in cages. Don't forget to pick up the Airstream for the ride home.

What else...

Food - everything on my pin, plus drinks. Which means we'll need a cook and a bartender. Okay, you have all this? Because I need to get back to planning my next trip. Hmmmm. I think Machu Pichu. Don't forget the wheelchair for that one.

Hey, if you want to share in the fun, just type in Pinterest.com and in a few days you can be a member too. You can waste time just like me, yet see the coolest stuff. You can see the desert in bloom, baby animals, cool insects and sea life, recipes, cabins, oceans, dreams.

Even better part? You run into some of your blogging friends and even your neighbors.

Dreaming. Putting dreams together or not putting them together. Just seeing them. Fun.

Come join me. There's a pin right there in red on the right side of my blog that will get you there. You can see what I like and see if it is for you. Addictive pleasure, but, hey, beats crack, channel surfing, and cleaning toilets.

(I feel like Pinterest should pay me for this advertisement.)


24 comments:

  1. I want to go where the aqua waters flow. Pin me with those pics, will ya?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha!!!!!! I see it sucked you in...so far I have resisted total abandonment. But it sure could happen!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried to resist Pinintersts because I know it'll suck me in like Twitter, Facebook and Blogger did…and I'll have even less time for things like cooking, exercise or shopping. Or writing, which I really like. (Did I tell you I have a book out?)

    Great post!

    Helena xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm resisiting!!!..it is summer and life is short......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I opened an account, but I haven't done much with it. I do think it can help a person discover or clarify or explore new interests and possibilities. I guess right now I am filling my time with, ahem, a game called Dragonvale. And blogging, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Julie... funny! :)

    I've heard about this new phenomenon. A couple friends have expressed a lot of what you've said, though your thoughts have tempted me the most. I almost clicked!

    I'm happy for you... really. :) We have to find joy and excuses wherever we can. Who knows? I may be joining you there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anything to avoid cleaning the toilets... ; )
    That turquoise water is GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got some serious board action goin' on, sistah! I gotta check you out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only way I'm going to get through what's left of my life is if I NEVER click on anything that I will find I can't live without. I have too many of those already. I only wish I could go back and never have that first potato chip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I only recently heard of Pinterest... thanks for explaining it... I think. But it does sound like another Thief of Time so will probably resist!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lot of fun right at your fingertips. My computer invites me to sit in front of it when i need something to do. I still play the games with hardcopy, I tried a few through the years. I like to see that puzzled look with Scrabble face to face, especially when I am winning.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay! I definitely need something to distract me from being distracted 99% of the time. I should be doing all the things you should be doing, but just do not want to do them! Or, maybe it's time for another Intention Board which is very much like Pinterest, I'm thinking....oh good, now I'm fully distracted from exercising this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha ha, funny post! I became a Pinterest member some time ago but can't figure out how to pin...can't say I spent a lot of time at it, though. Maybe I'll give it another try.
    Anyway, I totally enjoyed your take on Pinterest and looked in on your boards...so many pictures, so little time :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are always worth the wait. :-)

    I'm really glad you didn't post this at the beginning of the summer, because I'm pretty sure the shape of my summer would have been changed. As it is, I have four days before I have to go back into my classroom. Freedom gone.

    I think you're doing exactly what your heart and soul needs right now. I'm glad you're following them and not your head.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't Pinterest fun, I only go in there when I have lots of time as I stay far too long when I do. I love it.
    Hope you are doing well sweet lady, will e-mail you later. Sending big hugs always....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. First I have to get to the bottom of my current 'to-do' list, which will probably be some time next year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stop tempting me. I am actively resisting Pinterest--and my only tactic for that of late has been mocking those who use it. Yet I don't feel mockery towards you, especially after this post. I feel only a desire to go to Pinterest. So STOP.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I keep wanting to go check out Pinterest to pin collections of bright, fun and creative activities to do w/little Sam as he gets older - but I fear my board would get filled with guys and their nice pecs instead. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH oh... this sounds like I must never go there. But really... you found Yardley lipstick there??? What about Mary Quant?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have resisted so far! Hope you are at least getting a little exercise. I read a book the other day and thought to myself "I bet Julie could write this book"..it was Wild..from lost to found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed...pretty good. Kind about being in the weeds...to the extreme.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have resisted so far! Hope you are at least getting a little exercise. I read a book the other day and thought to myself "I bet Julie could write this book"..it was Wild..from lost to found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed...pretty good. Kind about being in the weeds...to the extreme.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well...you alrady know I'm on Pinterest...usually do it early in the morning, scine I have a habit of getting up at dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh no, not you, too! I've already lost my boyfriend to Words with Friends, Pinterest and Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have one sister in law strongly urging me to get started. I do like the idea of putting recipes on it instead of using the bookmark. I'll go check yours out!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. Every word you write, I appreciate.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails