Tuesday, April 28, 2015

April Hunting

After about ten years of wearing nonfitted stretch waistbands, she insists that her waistline has completely disappeared.
Mary Roach

I'm always thrilled when I discover a writer whose work I've never explored. One night the guest on The Daily Show was a very funny Mary Roach.  I picked up one of her books. How I've missed her wry and delightful insights into the world might have to do with my not having read a Reader's Digest in I can't even fathom. Or read her books like Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers  or  Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife.

(Thinking my summer reading list just got bigger.)

I've just finished My Planet - Finding Humor in the Oddest Places filled with short, concise three page essays. Hoot and hollering fun. Well, maybe not that loud. But giggling a definite Yes! The kind where people look at you and you can only giggle more. Too fun to share.

With a mind full of giggles, I set out on my April Scavenger Hunt brought you by Made With Love.


Scavenger Hunt

The  April List:
Upside Down
Clouds
Chair
Something sweet
Growth
Glass
Bedroom
Rain
Egg
Fresh
Feet
Whatever You Want

Here we go.

Upside Down
Just found this last night while out to eat. Perfect

Clouds

 Chair
I live in this chair. Within my reach are my book bag,  camera, eye glasses, Emory board, DVD changer, knitting, computer, even more books, a backyard view, hand lotion, notepad and pen, fingernail polish. If I could just figure out how to add a toilet and build a robot to bring me a new cup of tea or glass of wine, I'd never have to move.
 Something Sweet
The flock just born in my Swedish Ivy hanging on the back porch.


Growth
This chart has hung in our laundry room for 27 years. Recorded all three boys. Middle son the tallest at 6'3".

Glass
My favorite wine glass.

Bedroom
Youngest son's room as he left it after his last visit home (ONE YEAR AND FOUR MONTHS AGO) Old family tradition holds that you can't wash the sheets when someone leaves until they come home again. Seriously Bama Chef Boy, time to come home.
Rain
Wonder where they're going?
Egg
My breakfast. Eggs, Uncured Canadian Bacon, a dab of cheddar and Sirracha. Twas pretty dang good.
Fresh
This year's pea crop.
Feet
I should probably take off my Birkenstocks next time I'm sitting in the sun. Bad tan lines.
Whatever I Want

My very strange friends.
Okay, wonder what the May list will bring.

37 comments:

  1. This was fun, a selection of many interesting things in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - so enjoy visiting your world as well. Glad Spring has found its way to you.

      Delete
  2. Lots of fun as usual! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love 'em all! But especially the pretty pink toes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and with my ugly/worn our feet, that is a most welcome comment.

      Delete
  4. The picture of the clouds you took are beautiful. I just got out of hospital today from having a hysterectomy which gave me two ideas for your chair. An IV bag for wine and a catheter...you will be set lass.Thanks for a new authour name....love humours authours. Have a great week and May is just around the corner. Cheers, Beckie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Thank you, Nessie, for the giggles garnered by your comment. I love, love, love the solution.

      Sure hope you're feeling better. Take good care of yourself.

      Delete
  5. Excellent pedicure; love the window next to your chair; and I could not leave those sheets on your son's bed...I'd have had to deal with them.

    PLUS: you just reminded me of Mary Roach and how I've been meaning to read her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, too, will love Mary Roach. And, yeah, those sheets -- he needs to come home.

      Delete
  6. An interesting and fun set of photos. I was also on the look-out for an upside down notice - rather rare! A beautiful cloud formation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I tried to get the ducks when they'd put their heads under water and ... fish? Not quite certain what they're doing. But, couldn't catch it with my camera. So glad my upside down came when it did.

      Delete
  7. I like the whatever I want image best of all: so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was fun. And, they were over the top into it. Crazy women.

      Delete
  8. I love finding a great new author. I just discovered Marisa de los Santos and Jodi Picoult. Both very good.

    Fabulous pictures! I love your wine glass. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. yes, always good to expand the reading list. I think I read Belong to Me? by de los Santos. Read a Picoult for book club. And, yes, that glass serves the purpose.

      Delete
  9. I see you buy uncured pork products, too! My husband is always saying, when I bring home uncured bacon, "what! you're feeding me sick bacon??"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Yes, I buy the uncured. Try as I might to be a tad healthier every chance I can get.

      Delete
  10. What a great post. I have a similar chair, don't read the Digest, found your book reviews compelling while suspecting like me you were a fan of Irma Bombeck.....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably all avid readers have a special chair. Yes, I am a Bombeck fan from way back. I recall my mom chuckling over her essays and I guess it just carried it on. When I moved to Austin, Tx, an article in the paper showed Erma in Liz Carpenter's hot tub on a full moon. They were howling at the moon. I now howl on full nights -- in honor of both women.

      Delete
  11. You are having way too much fun. Well, hope May is just as fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun. A great creative outlet. Makes me think as I could probably make it very easy. This way so much more fun.

      Delete
  12. I love your scavenger hunt photos. Looks like you had fun finding great subjects for each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy it. Probably could be better spending my time, but this makes me happy. So, there you go.

      Delete
  13. I didn't know Mary Roach was ever on a TV interview--I enjoyed her book about space travel, "Packing for Mars." I need to pick up another by her.
    Never heard of that family tradition, but I kind of like it.
    Your chair is ideal, you're right. Looks like a homey, comfy spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is homey. And comfy. I just picked up Roach's Spook for summer reading. Yeah, I wrote the boy in NYC and said, OK, need to wash those sheets. Come home.

      Delete
  14. Love your scavenger hunt! Can I copy you while I'm in Italy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do. Have fun there, Grrl. Paint, paint, paint.

      Delete
  15. Thanks for taking part in this months scavenger hunt, what great photos. I really like clouds, fresh, feet and whatever you want. Greenthumb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, greenthumb. Thoroughly enjoy the creative outlet.

      Delete
  16. I like the family tradition with the sheets--and yes that so needs to put vacation time to use and drop by for a visit. Thanks for stopping by my place the other day. I do need to be more regular with posting. Or, maybe I just enjoy being an attention-seeker and playing the "Hey everyone, I am back!" card repeatedly. I'll talk to a mental health professional and hopefully get all of that worked out.

    I hope your weekend went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in responding, Slamdunk. Hence my understanding of your having trouble getting back in the swing. Nice to hear from you.

      Delete

Let me know what you think. Every word you write, I appreciate.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails