– Flavia Weedn
Hello, Friends of Midlife Jobhunter,
Julie is away from home for a little while, spending some precious hours in Green Bay, Wisconsin, with her father, who is not doing well. So she's asked me, Fragrant Liar, to guest post. And though she didn't ask me to roast her, I kinda thought it would be fun.
As a writer, one of my favorite subjects is the relationship between friends—particularly women friends, which is sometimes surprisingly hard to come by and therefore all the more valuable and special when you are blessed with it. I couldn't write engaging four-dimensional characters if I didn't have real-life examples to draw from, like Julie.
What I like most about Julie is that she's down to earth, unpretentious, and says what she thinks. This allows us to cut right through the bull I usually like to sling around. Why, in the 9 or 10 years we've been friends, Julie has been known to say the most loving friendship stuff to me. Here are just some of my favorites:
- Most memorable party invitation: You better show up.
- Most constructive comment on my manuscript: No.
- Best cure for boredom: More wine?
- Best simultaneous activity while star gazing: More wine?
- Most shared sentiment on a group project: I'm sick of this shit.
- On raising three sons (vs my 4 daughters): Pink? What's pink?
- Most dreaded suggestion for joining her at the lake: Don't forget your suit.
- Most useful advice: So did you dump his ass?
- When assigned to create a positive affirmation for ME: I hope I get to come see you in Florida.
Jules, take care of your pops, and treasure the time you have with your family.