Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Hot Time in Texas

Heat, ma’am! it was so dreadful here, that I found there was nothing left for it but to take off my flesh and sit in my bones. 
Sydney Smith, Lady Holland’s Memoir

A breeze flutters the flag on my porch. The red, white and blue swishes this way and hovers another before falling for a momentary rest. The fronds on my neighbor's palms fan slightly to and fro. Their flag flies almost upright high out on the dock, the breeze out there more like a wind.

I watch all this undulating as I sit inside and try to put a few words together. My chair outside on the porch idly waits, like it's calling me to come park my behind. I like to write out there. The breeze adds to this enticing invitation.



As inviting as it may appear, I won't succumb. I know it's an illusion.  It's hotter than hell out there. The view from this side of the window comes with AC. I'll leave the 102 degree temperature for hardier souls. And hope those working in it are drinking lots of water.

Yesterday the temp reached 109. One hundred and nine. It was too hot to swim, the relentless sun rescinding my hopes for comfort. When the sun finally sank below the horizon, I ventured out. The flags drooped limply. A cicada whined for a mate. The water didn't move. The air suffocated me in its silence.

I jumped into the lake. Rather, I jumped into a giant hot tub. The lake needed relief from the sun's rays more than me.

It's quiet at the lake during the week. My husband took up all the weekend dweller's trash cans after the garbage truck came by. The neighbors next door, who live here full-time, have bailed for mountain air. Smart people. While my husband watches movies downstairs on the only TV, I find myself unable to choose what to do. I'm out of sync.

Normally, I'm sequestered in my hammock, a stack of books beside me while relishing every second of the long days of summer. I'll jump in the water when I get too warm or before switching to a different book. I float and study the landscape or the movement of the water, or the boats going by.  I talk to the ducks or geese that swim around me. Or a turtle, that pops up his head to see what I'm up to.

Today, I watch the theater before me from behind the glass. My stack of books sit idle, the covers seemingly saying, "Pick me up. Choose me." I don't choose them. Nor do I clean something around here that surely needs cleaning. My watercolor paints on the table don't care how little I know about using them. They are ready. I thought I was too.

But I only have energy for looking out the window, where absolutely nothing is happening, except the breeze blowing the flags and the water rushing by with today's wind, like it's running from the heat.

No boaters sail by. No tubers or skiers sing out with glee. No birds fly by. No ducks or geese wait for a toss of cat food or a swimming companion. We're all in hiding.

Seems a sin to be inside on a summer day. 

But I'll wait until today's sun, like yesterday's, sinks behind that vista


 and the temp drops to 90.  Then I'll float -- in the moonshine.

15 comments:

  1. Yikes! That's really really hot. I couldn't live there. But it sure is nice to see your post in my news feed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DJan. It was fun to do the post. I hope to reconnect more in the months to come. Hope you are hiking well.

      Delete
  2. To me, it seems like good sense to stay inside in July and August! Those are the tough weather months around here. The rest of the year is for being outdoors, at least in my world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have growing up in the Upper Midwest ingrained in me. We waited so long for warmth that being inside in summer was worse than the cold. Need to alter my thinking, maybe?

      Delete
    2. So funny - I was thinking about that Midwestern POV as I read. However, you are welcome to escape back up here if you need to - the guest room is empty again.

      Delete
    3. Thinking that Midwestern POV might be good for a few more blog posts. And, cold front came through. Cool this morning -- low 70's. Only in the mid-90's. Funny how that is a noticeable and much more pleasant change. Will still keep that guest room in mind.

      Delete
  3. While you are getting the heat that we usually get this time of year, we are getting beautiful cooler weather but tons of rain as well. One woman died as a tree with water soaked roots crashed onto her house! I am caustious while walking between the rainsdrops in my yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be cautious also. Strange, strange weather. We could certainly use a little of the rain.

      Delete
  4. Even my birds are uninterested in the feeder or fresh fruit pieces I throw outside. They could at least entertain me while I stare into the heat abyss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, I would think so. Heat hibernation and sluggishness reigns.

      Delete
  5. A swim in the lake when the water is cooler sounds inviting. It's hot and humid here. We had half an hour of heavy rain yesterday evening. It hasn't lowered the temperature, but it's a welcome respite after weeks of dry weather especially for farmers who have combustible fields of wheat to harvest and those dealing with wildfires on the Lancashire and Yorkshire moors. The peat content means that fires continue to smoulder underground and are in danger of breaking out again. Thunder storms are expected today. AC in your home sounds good to me and the best place to be in the heat of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems extreme weather is causing problems all over. We did get a cold front come through. Only in the mid-90's today and yesterday. Seems rather pleasant after the 100+. Awaiting rain. Stay cool.

      Delete
  6. I feel bad for people enduring so much heat. We haven't had it too bad in Wisconsin, but I can say that after some much needed rain brought relief. I get why people in the south sit still more than us in the north!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. Every word you write, I appreciate.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails